Nine ways to dine while dieting
May 26, 2019
“To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art.”
Dieting doesn’t mean ditching the delightful dining out experiences. In this modern age, we have taken to healthy lifestyle with mindful eating, physical activities and leisurely activities for quality living. Handling the plateful of the daily challenges of long commute, work-life balancing, working late, helping children in studies in between cram in a gym session, catching up with friends and with spouse leaves less room for cooking time and puts more pressure on healthy food choices.Moreover, day after day abstaining from sugars and starched food may build frustration too. Yet, we are afraid to dine out for the fear of more calories which may take us backward in our health goals.
“Your diet is a bank account. Good food choices are good investments.”
Have no fear. It is a myth that eating out will pile up calories, unless you yield to temptation. There are lot of ways in which you have the proverbial “have the cake and eat it too”. Many restaurants today adapted to cater to people committed to healthy living like you. They offer delicious delicacies made of healthy ingredients in a healthy way. It only takes some effort and novelty on your part to construct a tasty and healthy meal when dining out.
“Never eat more than you can lift.”
With these easy steps (of course , they call for your willpower!), you can eat a hearty dinner without the hangover of guilt later.
- Dine out with like-minded: Choose companions for your dining out carefully. Those who are committed to healthy food like you wouldn’t be source of temptation, as it is difficult to be spartan when your tablemates splurge on
- Opt for a la carte: Pass on all-you-can-eat, supersize, buffet; go for la carte meal, which reduces the temptation of over intake.
- Search the menu: Look for healthy items that are higher in protein, fibre and vitamins and lower in calories, fat, sugar and sodium. Items that have tags like “fresh, lean, fit, vegetarian, light, skinny” are definitely diet-friendly.
- Ask the preparation method: You can ask how the item is prepared. Whether baked, grilled, fried, steamed, roasted, etc, as steamed, grilled, or broiled dishes have fewer calories than foods that are fried in oil or cooked in butter. No, you won’t get weird looks for asking! Times have changed. Go ahead and ask.
- Make your plate colourful: Like kids’ drawing, make the plate colourful with fresh fruits and vegetable portions as substitutes for deep-fried munchies.
- Take control: Ask for toppings and other add-ons in the side, not mixed with your dish so that you can control how much you take them.
- Size it: If your portion turned out to be large, avoid gorging it at one go. Eat half the portion and pack the other half or share it with others. Kee in the mind a famous chef’s words “Cakes are healthy too, you just eat a small slice”.
- Lose these items: Always go for healthier items that won’t trouble your diet goals. It is imperative that these items can be passed over:cream-based or cheese soups; white bread, rice and pasta; bacon, sausage and fatty, salty meats; salty sauces like soy, teriyaki, cocktail; French fries; sour cream; refried items; anything deep-fried, pan-fried, extra crispy, creamed, stuffed; soda, sweet tea, sugary cocktails; traditional desserts, ice cream, cookies.
- Add these gems: Preferring healthier choices like broth-based soup with lots of veggies; whole-grain bread, rice and pasta; skinless chicken, fish, lean meat; grilled, sautéed, roasted, steamed, baked, poached; baked potato or side salad; light sauces flavoured with herbs, spices, vinegar, wine; fresh fruit and fruit-based desserts; water, 100% juice, diet soda, seltzer, spritzers, over the saturated fatty items would go a long way in satisfying eating out.
Committed to a healthy diet whether eating at home or outside is one of the smartest decisions you ever make because it’s a best bargain. Yet, fixing and marching towards dieting goals need not leave you high and dry. You need not miss the leisurely dine out experiences still. With little effort and preparation, you can have as delightful dining experience as the next person. March on merrily towards longer, healthier life!